Lisa learned how to make this in Italy years ago. It's been updated for Maine.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Olive oil for cooking
- 2 lbs. spinach, washed, chopped and salted (chopped kale may also be added to the spinach for extra green color)
- 2 to 3 cups chicken or vegetable broth, simmering
- ¾-cup of risotto rice (Arborio)
- 4 eggs
4 Tablespoons Ocean’s Balance Kelp Purée
- 4 Tablespoons grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- Spice mixture – equal parts nutmeg, basil and oregano
- Seasoned Italian breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a pie plate and then coat bottom and sides with breadcrumbs.
- In a large sauté pan, cook the onion in a few tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat until limp, then add the garlic and cook a minute longer. Add the spinach and cook, stirring occasionally, until wilted. Add the rice and stir well.
- When the edges of the rice grains are translucent, add a ladle of hot broth and stir until absorbed. Keep cooking for 10 minutes, adding more broth as it is absorbed, and stirring constantly. The rice should be a bit hard. Cool.
- In a separate bowl, combine eggs, Kelp Purée, cheese and a tablespoon of the spice mixture. Add to spinach and rice mixture
- stir well to blend all ingredients.
- Pour mixture into buttered and crumbed pie plate. Sprinkle with breadcrumbs, a few pinches of the spice mixture, and a few small pats of butter. Bake for approximately one hour, or until set. Allow to rest for 15 minutes before serving.
- Serve with a grated carrot salad for a colorful and delicious meal.
- Note: This is a gluten-free recipe as long as gluten-free bread crumbs are used.
Pairs with: Italian wines such as Barbera d'Asti or Montepulciano d'Abruzzo.